In this unit, participants will examine issues related to open educational resources (OER), open licensing, and open pedagogy. Topics covered include finding and creating OER, understanding the variety of Creative Commons licenses, and engaging students as open knowledge creators.
As you work your way through the modules on Open Education, reflect on the following questions:
- Are there any consequences to licensing my work with a Creative Commons License? What are the benefits and drawbacks? For example, what might happen if I were to license all of my work as CC BY?
- What are some challenges and barriers that arise when creating or using open educational resources in the course of your work?
- What possibilities does the affordances of the Internet, particularly around connection, sharing, and collaboration, have for teaching and learning?
For this unit, you will complete:
- 3 modules with a mixture of content types (2 hours)
- 3 activities from the Activity Bank (30-45 minutes)
- A Discussion Forum (30-45 minutes)
- A Shared Reflection (20 minutes)