In this unit, participants will learn about the importance of transparency for replicability and reproducibility of research. Topics covered include open workflows, descriptive standards, and open software to support the research life cycle.
As you work your way through the modules on Open Research, reflect on the following questions:
- How can increasing transparency of project processes (e.g., methodologies and workflows) improve the research and help to advance knowledge?
- How can open collaborative methods (e.g., providing metadata, file sharing, working in reproducible environments) increase efficiency and widen engagement with research?
- Are there open datasets in your discipline that you could learn from and make use of? What are the biggest hurdles preventing you from “opening” the data from your own research?
For this unit, you will complete:
- 3 modules with a mixture of content types (3 hours)
- NOTE: hyperlinks to outside resources and opportunities to “Dig Deeper” are optional.
- 2 activities from the Activity Bank (30-45 minutes)
- A Discussion Forum (30-45 minutes)
- A Shared Reflection (20 minutes)