In this unit, participants will examine the current economics of publishing and its impacts on academia; authors’ rights and intellectual property and the connection to publisher agreements and negotiations; and models for open access, including the challenges and opportunities it affords.
As you work your way through the modules on Open Access, reflect on the following questions:
- How does the academy contribute to inequalities within the publishing ecosystem?
- What is the value of my intellectual property?
- Are there unintended consequences to engaging in open access?
For this unit, you will complete:
- 3 modules with a mixture of content types (2 hours)
- 2 activities from the Activity Bank (30-45 minutes)
- A Discussion Forum (30-45 minutes)
- A Shared Reflection (20 minutes)